an exported Univeris text delimited file (CSV) to a Microsoft Excel File
This will require that you have Microsoft Excel installed on your
to an .xls file
Open Microsoft Excel
2. Create an empty workbook (Go to the File menu and select New)
3. Select the Data menu item, then go to Data -> Import External Data
-> Import Data
4. Select the output file that was generated
5. This will start the Wizard interface to finish the conversion
process. Below are screen shots that describe the process of
conversion. The pictures only show the relevant settings that need
to be set. The buttons on the bottom of the windows have been
is the first screen of the wizard. Keep the default values.)
key point is to make the screen as it is shown above. Make sure
to select Other and put the tilde, ~ character as is shown above.)
on the Finish button, not shown in this screen shot)
Either option can be selected. The main
point is to make sure that the outputted file is in the first
workbook. This should be the default of the file created.
6. Save the file to your computer. Make a
note where the file was saved to.
The next step is to link to the file in e/Forms.
Linking to the Excel File in e/Forms
1. Click on the database tab of the Client
2. Click on the Excel option. (Database tab shown above)
(This window will be shown when you select Excel as
the database option.)
Click on the properties tab
Double click on the file that you have just converted file created by
(After clicking OK a menu item will appear on the
top of the screen to the right of File, labelled MS Excel.)
5. Finally click on the MS Excel -> Set User
This window will map the fields from the Excel
File into e/Forms. Select the appropriate field names from the drop
down list boxes to link to the correct data from the Excel file.
After that has been done then the names will appear in the Search tab of
the Client Information window.
Potential Problems that may occur
Go to the Search tab and its empty
also will get message in bottom left
hand corner, stating time and date and '0 Records retrieved'
The Excel file needs to be modified
1. Make a backup before continuing. This is
a precautionary measure
2. Look at the first few rows, 2nd and subsequent. (The first row is
headings for each column)
3. Delete all the rows where the first 2 columns are blank.
4. Make sure there are no blank rows between the heading row and data
5. Save the file. (Then select that file in Properties if the
Please note that the entries that were previously
in the first few rows will not be accessible in e/Forms.